July 27, 2011

Kids Office Chairs: Unfair to Childish Adults

By: David Patullo

Why is it that all of the most adorable, fun, creative, colorful designs in things such as bedding, clothing, and even office chairs are available only to the younger generation? As a very childish adult, I can say for certain that I am among a growing number of adults who would love to have an office chair in a nice bright lime green! Or perhaps even a Spongebob yellow! Why is it that kids office chairs are more whimsical and fun than the ones offered to me?

I could rant and rave on this issue for days, but I won’t. When it comes to the fanciful and colorful, kids office chairs are high on the list. For the boys you can find chairs themed for their favorite sports teams or cartoon characters; I know my son loves his Transformers chair. Other kids office chairs are more conventional in style and design, using only a single solid, yet bight, color. For a girl you might find some very frilly, feathery and fuzzy options in office chairs.

There seems to be a very distinct theme in these kids office chairs and office furniture: color. Lots of it! You can find every color in kids office furniture; from bright, hot pink, to cobalt blue, to electric orange. These bright colors make me wonder if children somehow have some form of natural psychotropics running through their little bodies. I look at the neon colors of bright pink, blue, orange and lime and I wonder how they will get any sleep… I’m taken back to the advent of “day-glow” colors. What fun!

If you want to find some great kids office chairs all you need to do is a simple internet search and you’ll be taken to dozens of pages offering kids office chairs in a plethora of fun designs and styles. How fun it is to shop with your daughter to decorate her study desk. Why, if I were a child a pretty, pink, fuzzy, sparkly, glittery chair would make me run straight home from school in order to sit in it and do my homework. What a fantastic idea to get a child to want to study!

The most I can hope for in an office chair is that it is there when I need it. A kid’s office chair can coordinate with his or her bedroom; it can be a focal piece or it can simply be a compliment to the room décor. One thing that a kids off chair needs to be is smaller than a regular adult version. Kids are just smaller people than we are. It’s a fact that must be taken into consideration. The children’s desks are smaller, shorter, lighter weight… mine is a behemoth! You could say that kids office chairs and other office furniture are training furniture for the real stuff they’ll use as adults.

Yes, children’s furniture and room décor often times focuses on the whimsical. One of these days I’ll find some office furniture that is just as whimsical for me. Until then, I guess I will have to simply learn to live vicariously through my little ones.