January 26, 2009

Choosing a Carpet Cleaning Company

by: Michael Branco

Hi everyone!

I Opened my company close to 4 years ago. And business is good. I'm writing this article to get some more hits to my website. (Honesty of course.) and to help you choose a carpet cleaning company when time comes to clean your carpets no matter where you live.

The owners inside track. lol.

I opened my company here in Miami because I couldnt find an honest and fair price to clean my studio apartment in South Beach. I called around and the prices that I was quoted at that time were over $200. and a few that were $7 a room. (That conversation was so funny) I remeber telling them ok I'm not going to be home but I'm going to leave $7 plus a $5 tip on the table and a friend is going to be there. The company was like...... no but we have to see if you have any stains, or if your carpets are yaddy yaddy yaddy.............

I looked into the carpet cleaning industry and came up with a business plan and I then purchased the top of the line equipment and opened my own company.

I started out charging the first year $30 for a studio going up in price $10 per room. The next year in business I went up to $40 then the year after that $50

My current rates are $75 for a studio
$100 1 bedroom
$125 for a 2 bedrooms
and $150 a 3 bedrooms.
stairs $45

Living room and dinning room free.

The first 3 years in business I was growing my cliental list. I grew my business on both sides of the house the residental and the commercial side.

Ok enough about me...... The numbers above are awesome rates for cleaning your carpets.

So how do you choose a company.

If you see advertisement for $7 or $9 a room - stay away......
Does that make any sense to you? Every company has to make money
to pay their workers and supplies and bills of course. That a switch and bait tactic and it also gives our industry a bad name. If you come across or have come across this, write a review on line about them.

If a company wants to charge you extra for distance, for using their portables vice their truck mount ------ stay away.

I've heard from some of my clients that other companies charged them $200 minium because they live above the 3rd floor in a condo building.

Does any of that make sense?????????

In my opnion go with a small company that can give you a set price,

Ohh guarantees are also switch and bait. As the owner I can tell you that there are no such guarantee's. Think about it..... Do you know how many clients will call back after a few days to have their carpets cleaned again for FREE. I let my clients know they have 3 days from the date of their cleaning for any complaints.

Companies say guarantee but charge you to come back out. (I also tell my clients to be on the job site with the technician and if they dont like something tell the technican) 95% of the time its a communication issue. (like that stain is a bleach stain - its not coming out!) you know what I mean. you would have to bleach the rest of the carpets to get to the same color.

I've actually had someone call me after 3 weeks and made a complaint stating that his carpets came out dirty.. LOL there are scammers out there too. Where did all the honest people go?

I charge flat rates per room with no guarantee. There are so many different types of stains, alot of them are when home owners use over the counter carpet cleaning products with bleach in them.
(hint check the label - you do not want to use bleach)

Ok getting back to choosing a carpet cleaning company. How much is a day of labor worth in your area? How long will it take to clean your carpets? I usually round out about $40 - $60 an hour.

Try your best to set your appointment on the carpet cleaners time, then you can haggle somewhat. I've tested my technicians and on an average they can do 7 jobs in one day.

I wish I had 7 jobs everyday of the week. I try to schedule my jobs all together on certain days of the week. This can help you when scheduling your job with a company. Ask them if they are going to be in your area, and that you'll be home ALL DAY! But your willing to only pay XXXX amount.

Find a company near you, get their bottom line price, ask if there are any hidden fees, let them know that your going to write out a check or have that excate amount ready for them.

My workers are all subcontractors that get 30% of every job plus tip.

If I had 3-4 jobs lined up and you called stating I have a 3 Bedroom and that you were only willing to pay $100 and I had someone in the area why wouldnt I take your job?

Call around first, get a company that uses THE TOP OF THE LINE carpet cleaning equipment. (The old fashion wand is not cutting it these days) If you live in a home request they use their truck mount, if you live in a condo building their portables. (no price difference) I would tell you to research their company on the internet but I've come to the conclusion that people dont leave good feedbacks they only leave bad ones. So go with word of mouth.

Good Luck, If you need more information you can always view my web page.

If you live in Miami or Broward County give us a call and become our newest client.